Sunday 25 August 2013

Pacific Rim




Since I was little, I am always a big fan of cartoon series. I've watched Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Ultraman, Power Rangers, you name it. So when my sister brought me to a recent movie screening of a motion picture called Pacific Rim, I didn't really know what to expect (probably because I didn't even watched the trailer), but I was certainly blown away from it after the screening.

Pacific Rim is a science fiction film by Guillermo del Toro, a story set in near future where Kaijus (in Japanese, it means Giant Monster) emerged from interdimensional portal on the floor of Pacific Ocean are out to destroy the human race and recolonize Earth.

A Kaiju's appearance

Kaijus are as big as our man-made skyscraper buildings. They are huge with hard body and deadly claws, humans find out the hard way after losing over and over that they cannot win against these monsters with heavy artillery alone. Thus, they created a huge monster of their own; robots as big as Kaiju, and named them Jaeger (in German, it means Hunter).

Jaeger Program

To pilot a Jaeger, two pilots are needed to share the robot's neurological load. The jaeger program will hack into its pilots' brain through a process called The Drift. The stronger the bond between the pilots, the better they will fight the Kaijus.

The Becket Brothers

In the story, although the main characters are obviously the humans trying to fight for their freedom, I somehow find myself more attracted in seeing the robots in the spotlight. Whenever they are on screen fighting, I seem to be on the edge of my seat, feeling awed at how amazing and realistic the robots are.



"There are things you can’t fight - acts of God. You see a hurricane coming, you get out of the way. But when you’re in a Jaeger, you can finally fight the hurricane. You can win."
                - Raleigh Becket; Gipsy Danger pilot.


In the story, they are 4 remaining Jaegers. Most of the other Jaegers were either out of commission from fighting the Kaijus for over 6 years or were wiped out by more recent advanced Kaijus.


Gipsy Danger from USA


Striker Eureka from Australia


Cherno Alpha from Russia


Crimson Typhoon from China


By the way, these Jaegers are also available for sale as figurines and collectible items.



And if you have the time, you can design your own jaeger at this website:





I enjoyed the movie very much. I recommend it to everyone to watch it at least once. I shall leave you with a gift, the most awesome movie soundtrack for a science fiction film:

Pacific Rim main theme by Ramin Djawadi



No comments:

Post a Comment